Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DarkMatterLive heads to MetaCon in Minneapolis!! (Part 2) Academy Award Nominee Eric Roberts

Ok, I admit something here...I was completely starstruck on this one! How many people have meet Academy Award Nominees? I have never meet one, until Eric Roberts came walking into Panel Room 1 asking how we are doing. My heart stopped! To be honest, he was running late (stupid traffic, slow elevators lol) and I thought he had cancelled for some reason. Well, there he was! Walking with all the swag of a normal guy and the effect of a superstar!

I want everyone to know that I did try to keep down the gushing with meeting him. I hope I succeeded! LOL I tried not to take much of his time, but boy did I ask a lot of questions!



"How are you? How was your flight in?" - To Eric Roberts
     Eric Roberts: I'm great, thanks. It was fine, actually I slept through the whole thing.

"You have been in movies with Jon Voight, Mickey Rourke, Dennis Hopper, Alec Baldwin. That's heavy casting! How do you handle that type of thing?" - To Eric Roberts
     Eric Roberts: It is heavy casting. You mentioned Jon Voight, he is a Buddhist...so everything to him has to be perfect. Alec Baldwin loves being a movie star! But when he gets grumpy, he gets really grumpy.

"What do you think about what he did just recently?" - To Eric Roberts referring to Alec Baldwin pinning a paparazzi member to a car.
     Eric Roberts: How many of you are parents? (to the audience) Well, as you know, when you have a new baby in the house, you get no sleep for the first two weeks and you get a little grumpy. With Alec, he got really grumpy.

This next question didn't come from me, this question came from Kristen! Yup, I made her ask this one.

"How long have you been studying Taekwondo?" - To Eric Roberts
     Eric Roberts: Off and On since the second grade
(Kristen dropped her phone in shock)

"Ya, this next question is about a rumor that keeps coming up. I was wondering if it was true that you helped launch Julia Roberts career with getting her cast in the movie Steel Magnolias?"
     Eric Roberts: Ok, you got the story right...Just not the movie. Steel Magnolias was the film she got her first Academy Award nomination. The film she got her start in was Blood Red. The director was having trouble casting my sister, in the film, and I suggested my sister Julie. The director wasn't buying it and I was like, It's my sister! I also introduced her to her first agent, director. She did say thank you. I'm very proud of her.


"What's it like being married to Eric Roberts the actor and Eric Roberts the man?" - To Eliza Roberts
     Eliza Roberts - It's like any other marriage. I mean, you have the ups and downs. When I watch a movie that he is in, I'm stunned at how good he is in the movie...and then he comes walking down the stairs.
     Eric Roberts - It's great being married to me!

To be honest, there were a lot of great questions that came from other audience members. I don't remember them all but I will mention the question about the film, The Expendables.

"You did the film, The Expendables. What was that like?" - To Eric Roberts
     Eric Roberts: It was great, with the exception of the farting contests. There was one pre-madonna on the set. Sly is all work! He is a great guy. Steve Austin is a sweetheart.

I do want everyone to know that I did try to remember what the answers were. If I got it wrong, I do apologize. This is why I didn't quote them.

Later that night I did go to his autograph session and received another surprise! He signed an autograph for my mother! When I took it back to her, she laughed and thought it was cool and a big surprise! A close friend of hers is now jealous of the autograph! LOL I had to laugh on that one. Eric Roberts made my moms day with that surprise.

Oh yes, since it seems unlikely that I will ever meet him again. This next message is to Eric Roberts!

To Eric Roberts,
     Thank you very much for the autograph. I'm completely surprised by this! The name of the television show I watched, with you in it, was called "Less Than Perfect." I thought you were hilarious! You played the part of the Will Butler. Thank you again for the autographed picture!

So, to anyone out there, if you happen to know Eric Roberts or if he is reading this, Thank You!

I did run into Eric Roberts two times after the panel. Once, he was walking around the corner near the elevators and said, "Heey! It's Eric Roberts!" He gave me a fist bump and said "Salute." The other time was on Sunday morning. I went up to him and said, "Thank you for coming to this." He said, My pleasure and bent over to pick up his bags. (He put them down to take a picture with a lady and gave me another fist bump.)

Near the end of the first panel, Kristen turned to me and said, "Yeah, that's how your going to be in a few years."

I have to say that Eric Roberts is a class act with a twinkle in his eyes! He is great to talk too and will answer any question you have to ask him.

It was great meeting him and I wish him all the best in life!!

p.s. Oh yeah, for those who are interested. Eric Roberts put Kristen and I on too a few things that he supports and does in his life. First off is the musician, Keaton Simons!

Here is the link to his website: http://redbootpr.com/featured_artist/featured_artist.html

Also, Eric and Eliza Roberts support The Natural Child. Here is the link to this:
http://www.naturalchild.org/book/audio/

Eric Roberts is also an animal rights activist, here is the link to the organizations he supports: http://www.preciouspaws.org/ and http://600million.org/?r=ericroberts

If you cant get to these sites by the links given, I apologize. You can find all the links on Eric Roberts website! http://www.ericrobertsactor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment