Monday, April 11, 2011

Tron Legacy, Life & Death

It's been a long time since I have posted anything on my blog...Sorry about that!

I bought Tron: Legacy the other day & I am very impressed with all the extras on the dvd/blu-ray set. I love this movie!

I had to go to my Uncles' funeral recently & I got to see a different side of the family. There were funny things that occured, but the overal tone was different. I'm not talking about the loss of a family member...that is always sad. What I am talking about is how a group of people get together who do not like each other.

The trip to my Uncles' home was an amusing trip. My father & I made the journey together and saw some pretty funny things along the way. We traveled through downtown Chicago & passed through Indiana...OMG! The amount of tollbooths was a little on the ridiculous side. Oh well, just part of paving the roads to a better tomorrow! Lol

When we finally got to the town my uncle lived in, we were in for a surprise. The town was in ruins. Corporations had moved out of this town, which was largely an industial town, and left the gangs to drag it into the ground. The old neighborhoods were on the verge of looking like a war zone & the schools (what was left) are now the territory of gangs & squatters. Drugs, alcohol & poverty were all that was left of the town we remembered.

Even my old Elementary School was left to rot...Of course, it's now a Boys & Girls Club of America. I especially liked the barbed wire around not only around my old Elementary school, but also the vacant lots. This made no sense to me.

One of my other Uncles' mentioned that his house sits on disputed gang territory & they either drop to the floor or hide in the basement whenever they hear gunshots. What a waste of a lovely town.

Such is the way of Urban America. I often wonder why noone does anything until it hits middle America & then it becomes a tragedy...to solve a problem, you have to get to the source. The source is the lack of guidance & proper education.

However, all was not lost in this small town...It seems that someone believes in the area! There are fliers & billboards that have slogans about rebuilding the town & corporate America is moving their stores back into the area. This is a very positive move, but it could be "too little too late."

The funeral was held a couple of days after our arrival. The ceremony was held with honors of the USMC. The event was a sight to see.

In the end, we all left with a single thought..."life takes away from those who do not live properly." This saying is not only a warning but a blessing to those who follow the thought process.

Mother Earth is remminding us, everyday, that we are not needed for her continual existance. Life will remind us how fragile we really are in our lifetimes. We must live & think as if our last day is coming sooner that we expect. Along with that thought, we also should live our life...to be remembered as generous, inside & out.

No comments:

Post a Comment